Thursday 7 April 2016

What I've been reading: March-April

Just a few things I've been reading recently - partly to keep track of my attempts to conquer the book heap, and partly to help me remember what I've read. 

1. Sigrid Undset, Kristin Lavransdatter.


I finished this early last week, and I'm still processing it. I read the first two parts last Summer/Autumn, then had a break before going into Part 3 (The Cross) because it deserved more attention than my heavily-pregnant brain could give it.
Basically, if you haven't read it, do so. If you have read it, read it again. Just... wow.

2. Susan Hill, Howards End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home.

We were staying with my parents earlier this week, which meant easy access to their local library (far better than the one we usually use). When I saw this, I just had to borrow it - the title sounded so much like something that would happen in our house. It's not a life-changer, but it does make pleasant reading, and resulted in the addition of at least ten more entries to my things-to-read list.
3.  Josephine Ross, Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners.
Another library book. I was expecting this to be, well, fluff, in the style of most "Jane Austen's Guide to..." books. It's actually a fairly serious guide to Regency manners, and very useful for understanding some of the finer nuances of behaviour in Austen's novels. I now want to go back and read them all again...
More to come soon (hopefully).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment